Tuesday, June 7, 2011

What a Weekend

So it turns out, that I really enjoy being on stage.  Last time I was properly on stage was my Junior year of high school and I was in a play called And they Danced Real Slow in Jackson.  It was a great show, so good we got to go to the high school theatre convention and perform it for a group of our peers.  I had a good sized supporting role playing an eight year old and despite sporting 50 yards of duct tape and three ACE bandages to flatten my money makers out (bullet proof folks, nothing getting in, nothing getting out, no shapely figure for my character) but it was experience of a lifetime, figured that was the last time I'd be on stage.

Then rolled on Friday. After a rough dance reheresal, I went home practiced, ran steps through my mind at work and did port de bra in the streets.  And it came time on Friday for me to get to the side of the stage and I nail it.  Didn't miss a step, didn't get lost, remembered to not look at my feet but at the audience.  When it came time for the bow, I was so pleased I could have burst.

Saturday would be the day my most beloved boy, my friend and her male friend who was in town, would be in the audience.  I was a lot more nervous on Saturday, knowing this.  I was a bit shakier, but remember a moment when I finally listened to that advice to pull in my tummy muscles and there we are, solid again (crazy how that works!)

Then afterwards got a bit sad.  Yeah, the shows over, which is always a bit sad, but I'm moving soon, and I've just gotten into the swing of my Edinburgh ballet routine. I'm sure I'll figure something out for when I get to Belfast, but quite sad to be leaving here, but anyway.

Sunday brought a day of packing and Jon was off to Notheren Ireland himself with one of my kitties in tow.  And now I'm alone (well, one kitty left!) and very glad I have ballet class to keep me occupied. 

Very bittersweet.  I'm such a weenie.

And on another note, greater ballet public, any thoughts for classes for in Belfast, Northern Ireland?  Google isn't giving me much hope.  Looks like it might be me and some 10 year olds, which while that will be ok, not necessarily ideal.

3 comments:

  1. I know what you mean! I haven't performed in anything since college (10+ years ago), and have been itching to get on stage ever since. Nice blog, by the way! I'm an adult ballet beginner as well (did jazz many years ago, and after a long hiatus am finally getting back to ballet). I'm hoping, once I get more experience, to do recitals etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jeff! Glad you're enjoyig my blog, welcome! If you can find a school that let's the adults in the shows, it's a great chance to get the performance bug under control. As of this show, I have been doing ballet all of three months, so don't let experience get you down if you have the opportunity, it's been a good goal to work towards.

    How long have you been an adult beginner?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started with my current class and dance school just one month ago. I take class once a week for now, but hope to add more sooner or later!

    ReplyDelete