Friday, September 9, 2011

Wires Crossed

Ballet has begun again!!! 

After a long wait and an even longer hunt, I have had my first ballet class in Belfast!!  And it was brilliant, I'm feeling the burn in my legs, I hadn't forgotten as much as I figured and as ridiculous as I look, I loved pouring myself into my leotard again!  (And pour I did, put on 5lbs over my birthday, oops!)

But as is my way, things didn't 100% go to plan.  Imagine that!

First the good news, I have converted a new adult beginner, my lovely work colleague Sandra.  Sandra was a star and for her very first ever ballet class, she went the Full Leo.  Pink tights and all!  Snaps to her cause that takes guts!

So we arrive nice and early to the class after work, enjoy a cup of coffee and take in the lovely Crescent Arts Studio near Queens University.  About 40 minutes before class is due to begin, our way up and get changed and poke our faces into the locked dance studio, looking like a pair of twinkies.  We are allowed in and told to mark ourselves in.  No problem!

We stroll on over to the sign in sheet and scan the list for our names.  How weird, we're not on it.  Not to be deterred I just write my name and contact number in.  Brilliant!

The teacher then reviews this and asks us if we've registered.  And I promptly reply, of course!  I've been emailing you since May about this class!!  He looks at me like I've grown a 2nd heard.  Not to be deterred, I inform him I received his text on Monday to remind me about this class and I am certain I am exactly where I'm meant to be. 

Looking a bit put out, he tells us this class is very full and that others have had to be turned away, but since some won't be able to show tonight, we can stick around. 

And I am beside myself with rage!  I have so been looking forward to this and how could I have possibly been forgotten?!  Feeling hurt and rejected, I hand my £5 over and plop myself in the middle of the barre next to the mirror, almost defiantly!  Forget ths brother!!

Class itself was fantastic, but kept thinking that I mightn't be able to come next week and feeling like I kind of don't belong, because I have been forgotten, this may be my only class for a while.  Sadness.

After the class, Sandra and I ask if we'll be able to return next week, and there comes that 'I'd rather you didn't, but I can't say no' face and he tells us we can.  He might not be 100% about it, but too bad, he said yes, my leotarded hiney will be there with bells on next week!

As I'm getting changed, I start to have a wee think, as you do.  You see, I had bee certain the class started at 7pm and when I asked Sandra, she said oh no, it's at 6, and pulls up the website and shows me.  Happy days, that works out nicely.  But it kept niggling me, I don't normally get stuff like that wrong, why did I think it was 7?  I saw the more advance students shuffling in, but I mentioned to him I'd only been doing ballet for a few months, certainly he didn't think I would be in that class. . . .

And then it dawns.  I wasn't meant to be in the 6pm class, but rather the 7pm class.  I reviewed the emails when I got home, and sure enough, I screwed that one up.  To be fair, I have no place in a more advanced class, I am an adult beginner after all, not adult intermediate.

So now I'm trying to draft an email to him to explain my mistake.  I didn't realize there were 2 separate classes and took for granted that there would only be the one. 

Feel like a right ass . . . hopefully he'll understand!

All the same, it's good to be back!

1 comment:

  1. I pour myself into my leotard every week ;) Love this line: "looking like two twinkies"--that made me laugh out loud! you are not the first to accidentally take a more advanced class! i have read stories from other adult ballet bloggers who made similar mistakes. :) i bet it happens to me one day, too!

    ReplyDelete